One Minute Video Shoot

Peter, Matt, Andrea and I went to Briarwood Farms to do our one minute video shoot.   It turned out to be a very good idea to have brought two cameras so that we could shoot simultaneously.  This offered us to do some more dynamic things with the camera angle and transitions from dialogue to dialogue.  It was also fantastic to have a shotgun mic that we were able to utilize, as we could just pull one audio to be the foundation for two separate angles.

There were some very core Avid skills that came to make the one minute video successful.  First was to have a separate audio and video tracks and the ability to add title screens and cut.  Looking up some quick Lynda tutorials on tail and top edits made the process a lot faster.

One key take away that I will forever remember is how important the buttons beside the tracks are.  They are like hiding and unhiding layers in Photoshop.  If you leave one that you do not intend to edit on, I found that huge gaps would occur where I don’t want it to be.  For example I struggled with disappearing audio because of that reason.  Finally when I tried to export, if I don’t have the right tracks highlighted, then I would be missing parts in the final video, as I found out after waiting ten minutes for it to render and then having to render it again.

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 2.49.43 PM

https://senema.senecac.on.ca/videos/2947/samuel-li

Advertisements

Applying Gradient Meshes to Sweet Peppers

Gradient Meshes for Peppers

The assignment is to use the gradient mesh tool in Illustrator and recreate the peppers. The challenge was to emulate the reflective surface as well as learning how to incorporate the stems in the illustration and mesh.

Completed on Illustrator

FInished!

Reference Picture

sweet_peppers_isolated

To stem or not to stem?

As I was starting on the first pepper, I contemplated whether or not to include the stem or not in the mesh. Learning from my past experience, I thought it would be a good idea to include it after receiving some counsel from another student. The difficulty was extruding a piece from centre of the pepper in the mesh causing the mesh to go wonky from time to time when adding in mesh nodes.

The completed red pepper. The key was getting the basic shape with as little lines as possible.

pepper

I also decided to include the stem with the green pepper mesh because the stem was extruding from the top.
defining where the highlights end

Separate Stems

For the yellow pepper I decided to add on the stem separately because the majority of the stem grew out of the centre and it would be impractical to have two separate areas wit different shape and colours on the gradient mesh. Here is the comparison between a stem within the mesh (red pepper) and two separate meshes (yellow pepper).

Also I decided to do the same technique with the orange pepper given the complexity of the stems.Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 2.11.52 PM

Finished!
FInished!